Despite complications and having to get tested for Covid-19, we were able to travel to the DR in August, pack and sell or give away almost everything, and say our goodbyes.
It was a hard trip, but also so good. We were able to find most of the kids we’d developed relationships with over the last 3 years and give them the skateboards we had used in the skateboard ministry. It was such a delight to see their joy. Read more
After wrestling with the decision for some months, it has become apparent to us that the Lord has been shutting doors for us to continue ministry in the Dominican Republic at this time. Although this was a very difficult decision, all of our kids are happy that we are staying in the US, which was a confirmation of what we felt God was telling us.
For now we are moving back into our house in Portland. We plan to continue in ministry here, both with refugees and Spanish speaking people groups, as well as Skatechurch in Portland. We invite you to continue partnering with us in ministry, if you feel led to do so. However, our support level is not at an adequate place to allow for both of us to be in full-time ministry, so Ben is looking for employment to supplement our income.
We left the Dominican Republic in a whirlwind.
On Monday evening, March 16th, we received the news that Jolie’s school was canceled and would now be online. This came on the heels of several days of realizations that all of our ministries were going to become impossible due to the shutting down of everything.
The next morning we spoke with the directors of our mission agency, who urged us to come back to the US as soon as possible. We proceeded to purchase plane tickets to leave the DR less than 48 hours later. That same day the Lord provided someone to stay in our house and care for all of the pets.
That evening we went to some Dominican friends’ house to say goodbye and learned that the Dominican president had announced a country-wide quarantine and that the borders would be closing at 6am on Thursday morning. Our plane was scheduled to leave at 6:10. We spent an hour and a half waiting to speak to the airline, to find out whether our flight was to be canceled. They assured us that because it was an international flight, we’d be boarded on the plane and the doors would be closed 15 minutes prior to take-off. That would leave us with 5 minutes to leave the country before its borders closed! Read more